Tuesday, December 10, 2013

Worms fixation? Really?

Right...

After the November post about Cankerworm and Eando Kline something really weird happened: the number of blog visitors went just sky high! 
Sure it's nothing to bitch about but I was looking for the reason of that thing: pics of painted models were nothing jaw-dropping, I don't post any pr0n neither so my guess is it was the title to blame. 
Really? I mean could so many internet users be interested in watching something potentially disguisting? Or just maybe entomology has been very popular recently?

Looks like the only way to confirm or to refute that theory is practicing different catchy post titles sooner or later...

As for proper hobby matter: last Sunday night another model joined ranks of the painted and made the unpainted junk pile tiny bit lighter. This time it's Gutrott, young ripper from Enigma range. I got the miniature from my Chest of Colors buddy* and at this point it's the the only model from Enigma range in my collection.

The sculpt is sweet - it's Enigma after all, so not much to talk about it. There's lots of cool details making the paintjob pure pleasure + casting quality is very fine.
The model was painted just for fun, besides I finally wanted to use the plinth made for purposes of my first tutorial here bazillion years ago. I also tested new matt varnish - this time it's Revell. This stuff seems to be perfect replacement for Model Master, it seals models with thick, supermatt coat. Not sure sealing fresh blood (on the dead baby) was the best idea but I am still very satisfied**.
  

You can see some more views of the model under the link. I gotta find some new background for taking photos of the models - old and trusty black rag ain't 'nuff anymore.

Another necrotite fuelled toy staggering on the painting desk is Stalker bonejack being painted for my small Cryx battleforce. I really like this nasty sculpts and hope to finally find useful role for it during the battle.
The color scheme is quite unusual for Cryx stuff I've seen already but I've tested it on the Reaper Helljack below and I really like the "military" look of the model. Reminds me soviet post-apo killer bot:


The leaping pose is also something I wanted to do for a long time:
it made already cool looking model even more dynamic and imho sinister - it's a character killer after all, with high defence stat, pathfinder skill and doubled contol zone. Fast and furious pain in the ass for enemy casters. Especially if fielded in pack =]

Painting was nothing complicated but it seem like simplicity is the key: 3 layers of airbrushed greens, some washes, metalics and details. And of course solid coat of varnish as the final touch - it's a gaming model after all. Voila!
Making the model more striking (for painting contest or whatever) should be no problem - all you need is steady hand and some fine detail brush to define sepatate parts of armour, enchance osl effect and add some strong shades + highlights. But again: I don't need all these fancy details to hunt down enemy solos and terrorize warcasters.

Hope you like the final effect. The next model in the queue Cryx warcaster Mortenebra.


And the very fresh news from the front of Battle for Hope!
The event took place despite screwed up weather conditions and all donated models found new homes. Below you can see a pre-battle photo, for more you have to visit BfH Facebook site.


Laters!

*Peek-a-boo ToMaZ!
** Cheers Simon!

2 comments:

  1. This is interesting. An old post in my blog had way more visits than the rest and it is one of my only one without pictures. Guess what it is about... it is about planing an ogre army made of big worm models! :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Right: when I am done with what's on the painting station now some more bugs will come.
    Just to see if the theory is true or false ;)

    Cheers dude!

    ReplyDelete